Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Time for Sorrow

I am concerned that some Christians feel like they should have a big smile all the time.

Jesus didn't.

I don't.

Sometimes sorrow is the right emotion. Not lack of Joy. Sorrow. Big difference. I can count it all joy if when persecution comes I am tied to the stake to be burned. I will have sorrow.

Some Christians feel like if they express emotion that someone had "Stolen their Joy".

NO, Joy comes from Jesus. Godly Sorrow is Godly. I have sorrow over my sin. I have sorrow over bad leadership (there's a Proverb to that effect). I have sorrow over the loss of people I love.

BUT, the perpetual smile on the face of a Christian can be the sign of emotional upending.

Ecclesiastes Preacher says in Chapter 3:

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.


I fear we no longer believe these things and try to control times, seasons, events and even emotions to the place where we no longer understand this truth. Trying to control things outside of our control is witchcraft. I hope that's not what we are doing as a nation.



No comments: