The prophetic word has had a great impact in his life. It has changed him - forever. He is hungry to hear a word from God and is hearing lots of them from lots of people. That's a 1 Corinthians 14 thing. Hearing the word of Prophecy with great Joy. Then the parable of the soils kicks in. Not all of it falls on fertile ground. Some is lost. Some lost by the moving of the Spirit of God.
Having walked in the prophetic for a long time and as one who lives by every word that emerges from the Mouth of God I will counsel my dear brother in Christ on this experience and what our posture towards this should be. I believe he will benefit from experience that I and others have had in the realm of the prophetic. This will help people who are new to all this.
I would appreciate any input from you (constructive input thank you) on how to deal with a prophetic word given.
Here are a few truths:
- Prophets many times don't seem to be very skilled, refined or qualified. Don't let that throw you. Prophets are very human. God uses imperfect earthen vessels.
- All Prophecy must line up with the Word of God. If it doesn't or seems to be out of harmony with the Written Word, question it.
- The power of the prophetic is how it witnesses to your spirit. Sometimes it takes a long time for the word to mature and grow in your heart. Don't spend too much time trying to interpret the word, do as Mary the Mother of Jesus did, ponder everything in your heart.
- Prophecy should nearly always be encouraging. It should warn us 5% and encourage us 95%. If a warning is given, a promise of redemption will always follow. God never takes you down a dead end street.
- Judging the word given according to the scriptures is a function of seeing how it lines up with the precepts above.
- Sometimes, hopefully not too much, prophecy will sound flat, empty, superfluous seemingly inspired only by the pizza or pigs feet eaten last night. Don't be discouraged. Let it rest. The Spirit of God will bring it back to remembrance as you need it or discard it. Don't judge the person who brought the flat prophecy. They may still be growing in their prophetic gift.
I have received hundreds, maybe thousands of personal prophetic words in my life from people gifted or otherwise. I received them all gladly. But some are still fully alive in my Spirit even after 20 years. Most have fallen away. I trust the Spirit of God to reveal himself to me in confirming his word spoken thru the prophets. He always does.
If you flow in the prophetic you may have additional input in this area. I would appreciate it.