Sunday, January 30, 2011

Gary Oates: Keys to a Long Life!

Looking for the Fountain of Youth? We often look in the wrong places:

• Pharmaceutical companies are developing drugs they claim will make us live longer.

• Replacement hormones that promise longevity have become increasingly popular.

• Anti-aging cream and serums abound.

• Plastic surgery can make us look younger.

Moses had none of the above and died at the age of 120 in perfect health and with perfect eyesight. So what's up with that?

Our lifestyle choices play a significant part. Statistics show that those who eat right, exercise, and sleep well live longer than those who don't. For sure, those are things we should all do, but that's not the whole story.

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. –Abraham Lincoln

I recently celebrated my 67th birthday. Honestly, I don't think of myself as being that old. I jokingly said to a group of people that I am now 39 years old for the 28th time. That caused me to start thinking about what the Bible has to say about longevity. Here's what I found:

Keys to a Long Life

PEACE

Proverbs 14:30, A tranquil heart is life to the body...

WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING

Proverbs 3:13-16, How blessed is the man who finds wisdom and the man who gains understanding. For her profit is better than the profit of silver and her gain better than fine gold. She is more precious than jewels; and nothing you desire compares with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.

THE FEAR OF THE LORD

Proverbs 10:27, The fear of the LORD prolongs life...

Proverbs 19:23 (Amp), The reverent, worshipful fear of the Lord leads to life, and he who has it rests satisfied; he cannot be visited with [actual] evil.

Proverbs 22:4 (Amp), The reward of humility and the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.

THE WORDS WE SPEAK

Proverbs 18:21 (Amp), Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life].

Proverbs 13:3, The one who guards his mouth preserves his life...

Proverbs 10:11, The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life...

Psalm 34:12-14, Who is the man who desires life and loves length of days that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

OBEDIENCE

Proverbs 4:10, Hear, My son, and accept My sayings and the years of your life will be many.

Proverbs 3:1-2, My son, do not forget My teaching, but let your heart keep My commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.

Proverbs 4:20-22, My son, give attention to My words; Incline your ear to My sayings. Do not let them depart from your sight; Keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them and health to all their body.

Proverbs 7:2, Keep My commandments and live...

Read Deuteronomy 28:1-14: The blessings of obedience.

NOT BEING GREEDY

Proverbs 28:16 (Amp), ...he who hates covetousness and unjust gain shall prolong his days.

LOVE

Psalm 91:14-16 (Amp), Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never]. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation.

CHOICES

Deuteronomy 30:19-20, I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, by loving the LORD your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, that you may live in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.

CONTINUALLY PRAISE HIM

Psalm 103:1, 5, Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name... Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle.

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. –C.S. Lewis

(Note: Unless otherwise noted, all Scriptures are from the New American Standard Bible.)

Gary Oates
Gary Oates Ministries
, INC.
Email: info@garyoates.com

No comments: