Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The POWER of our WORDS

Yesterday I caught myself saying something stupid. A magazine subscription salesperson called and tried to talk me into re upping the subscription I have to a magazine we get.

"They are raising their rates and there is this one time offer for preferred subscribers".

Just so you are aware, that's the same as a car salesman letting the cat out of the bag when you visit an auto dealership today, When the sales person says, "We are overstocked and the boss is out of town". We can make you SUCH A DEAL.

I had some fun with the telemarketer and in the end told her that the subscription to the magazine was good until well into the next decade.

Then I said something I immediately repented of and rebuked seconds after I hung up the phone. I said, "I'll be dead before that magazine subscription runs out".

I was being funny. Except that's not funny. The words we speak reveal our heart and prophesy our future. Particularly when we use words like death and kill.

I believe God allowed me to retract the words I spoke, but I have to get control of a tongue that sometimes runs wild. Particularly as I become aware that the very words I speak come to pass. It's the burden of a prophet when you know that words spoken, even casually are counted as command in heaven. Jesus was speaking particularly to Prophets when he said:
"But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment." Matt 12:36
God will bring to pass what true Prophets speak for his names sake. Let's be careful out there.

No comments: