Sunday, March 24, 2013

Father DELIGHTS in YOU


Last night, I was on the west side of Chicago.  Off Madison.  Late (about 10).  In a group of people.  A place of waiting.  I didn't go there on purpose, I was just there being who God made me to be.  There were diverse representations of the local community present.  A couple dozen people.  It was one of those "AS YOU GO" moments rather than calling a meeting and asking people to come.  There were a few single women, a few older ladies, a couple moms and dads with babies.  Old men.  Young men who were frustrated. A couple who had been too long in the bubble shop before they showed up, a guy who was still upset about Urlacher being let loose from the bears with the representative jacket, a guy who had been chemically speeded up and was talking faster louder and more profane. There were all  just there.

When the Spirit of God is alive and moving in a person, he or she will be overtaken by that Spirit with unexpected results.  God's attitude towards people, places and things will suddenly become our mindset.  When that happens, a remarkable change takes place.   Many are overcome with compassion towards others in need. Sometimes righteous indignation will rise up against injustice. Sometimes agape love in forgiveness and restoration regardless of someone's failure.  Last night I had a sense of God's heart rise up I had NOT experienced before.

For most of an hour there we were stuck all together in one room.  None of us knowing one another.  Interacting with some tenuousness.  At first it was quiet.  BUT then.. I'm the obvious different one.  Suddenly God spoke to me..."I delight in these, my precious ones".  He didn't simply say He Loved them, that much is certain, but that He DELIGHTS in them.  I was overcome with God's delight and began to flow in His delight.   In Holy Ghost boldness... I let it flow.  Smiles.  Words of encouragement.  Friendly conversation.  Touch.  Mostly the DELIGHT of GOD'S HEART just flowed... and EVERYONE, (even the young man on crack) knew it was happening. 

The atmosphere changed. Joy came.  Spirits lifted.  Happy laughter and chatter. God's delight broke the back of otherness.  I don't get this.  YET... it's wonderful;  God using an older balding white boy from North Dakota to express His delight to His people. I didn't have a Bible, wore no fancy clothes, just expressed God's heart for He loved ones. Maybe it was just for those people gathered there at that time... I don't know.  I do know that it was new to me.  GOD DELIGHTS HIMSELF IN YOU.  He doesn't just love you, he LIKES YOU.  I wanted to tell you that today.

Here's what he said in Zephaniah 3 and said to them last night and says to YOU NOW:

    “Cheer up, Zion! Don’t be afraid!
17 For the Lord your God is living among you.
    He is a mighty savior.
He will take delight in you with gladness.
    With his love, he will calm all your fears.
    He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

18 “I will gather you who mourn for the appointed festivals;
    you will be disgraced no more.
19 And I will deal severely with all who have oppressed you.
    I will save the weak and helpless ones;
I will bring together
    those who were chased away.
I will give glory and fame to my former exiles,
    wherever they have been mocked and shamed.
20 On that day I will gather you together
    and bring you home again.
I will give you a good name, a name of distinction,
    among all the nations of the earth,
as I restore your fortunes before their very eyes.
    I, the Lord, have spoken!”

No comments: