Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Word on the Word of Faith...in WHAT?

Finding Balance in Word of Faith is treacherous territory. It's a tightrope. If you go too far either way you fall off into destruction. Many people have embraces the Oprah Winfrey "The Secret" theology in the CHURCH and called it positive confession. I have walked this tightrope and fallen off many times. I am learning that if I keep my eyes firmly fixed on Jesus he will help me keep balance. I'm afraid that much of what I hear from some Word of Faith preaching is full on Tony Robbins mixed with Scientology and an Amway convention.

We can do better but we MUST begin to speak words of faith without having faith in our faith but Faith in the One who first GAVE us the ability to have faith. Misty Edwards sings a great song a part of which says, "I can't even love you unless you loved me first, Lord". We have no faith hope or love apart from God.

Too much of what passes for Word of Faith teaching are simply warmed over self help books and tapes. No anointing, just positive thinking. Yes, there is a place for HOPE. Joel Osteen has built a church on that. I'm in favor of his ministry. It's better than the Word of Doubt and Unbelief churches I have attended sometimes. Joel walks that tightrope carefully. YET, how do we? How can we?

It's time for the Body of Christ to mature in this. I do not REJECT the Word of Faith teachings, I reject the abuses of the Word of Faith teachings.

We are to walk not as UNWISE because the days are Evil.

Ephesians 5: 15 Look therefore carefully how ye walk, not as unwise, but as wise; 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And be not drunken with wine, wherein is riot, but be filled with the Spirit; 19 speaking one to another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.


Don't hear that much taught in Word of Faith Churches today.

It's time to get back to the basics of Love Joy and Peace in the Holy Ghost.

Paul's admonition to the Philippians in Chapter 4 applies here:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


That my brothers and sisters is the TRUE WORD of Faith.

Walk Ye in it.

1 comment:

Tex said...

Amway is a scam: http://texsquixtarblog.blogspot.com