Monday, May 11, 2009

The Peace of God

From David Wilkerson


A Christian woman approached me recently with a rather emotional countenance and asked me if I had heard the latest news report. It was about an upheaval in Pakistan. “Can you believe what is happening?” she asked. “Every day is a bad-news day. Pakistan has nuclear capacity. Terrorists could take over and some mad Ayatollah could launch us into nuclear war.” Shaking her head, she said, “I am really scared. Things are spinning out of control.”

Right now, people are fearful all over the world. We are seeing the fulfillment of Jesus’ warning, that a day would come when men’s hearts fail for fear as they witness the things coming on the earth.

Those who have received my monthly messages know that in recent years I have cried out warnings about the coming housing crisis. I warned a crash was imminent. Yet I preached it with tears.

Now let me give you a clear word from God’s heart, a word of encouragement. In spite of all the frightening news, God still has everything under control.

Here is the Word we believers must stand upon as the storm rages around us, words given to us by Jesus: “Let not your hearts be troubled, neither be afraid” (John 14:27). These are troubling times. But in such times the Word of God becomes our strength and hope.

  • “The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. They that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee” (Psalm 9:9-10).

  • In the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock” (Psalm 27:5).

I believe the most fearful, troubling days are still ahead. And I see nothing but growing despair for those who are not daily in God’s Word and praying and talking to the Lord. It is his Word that lifts our spirits and produces faith. Discipline yourself now to open your Bible in the morning and start your day getting encouraged with his precious promises. Then talk to the Lord, even as you prepare for the day. Ask the Holy Spirit to strengthen your faith and hope.

There is one Scripture I repeat many times each day. I urge you also to claim it and believe it: “Cast all your care upon him, for he careth for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

No comments: