his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
His mother and disciples had given up. They fled and then buried him without much expectation.
But he Was recognized. So will you be my brother or sister. As you hide yourself in him, God is in the business of seeing to it people and things who you least expect will see you for who you are. Sometimes in the strangest ways of all. He is busy helping you find your place in God and your place of ministry service in the world.
When Jesus hung on the cross, it appears as if NO ONE recognized him. He was not understood to be who he is, true man, true God. But, even dying on the Cross he WAS recognized:
- The centurion Recognized him, Truly this is the son of God
- The Robber on his left recognized him, "Remember me when you come into your Kingdom"
- The Earth recognized him, it trembled, quaked and opened up at his death
- The religious symbols recognized him. The temple veil was torn top to bottom.
- Death Recognized the Resurrection and the life and upon his death men got out of the grave and walked around Jerusalem.
Matthew 27: 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
His mother, his disciples, his friends they didn't know him for who he REALLY is.
At the end, The FATHER recognized him as the living sacrifice, the lamb slain before the foundations of the earth and rolled the stone away. Pushed death back and bodily brought Jesus victorious from the tomb. The place where people had given him up for dead.
People may have given you up for dead. They may have tried to bury you. You are not buried, just unrecognized by the world. But ONE knows your name, he wrote it on the palm of his hand. Even if you look broken and destroyed, your are recognized, by your name.
The tomb they tried to place you in is soon to be empty.