Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Misfortune

“All of man’s misfortune comes from one thing, which is not knowing how to sit quietly in a room.” (Blaise Pascal, in ‘Pensees’)

I find the inability of people to pray without worship music, to meditate without a book (even the Bible) or be all alone for an extended time without a phone, text or computer is the bane of spiritual growth. What if we could just be all alone and HEAR the voice of the Father. Do you think Jesus TALKED all the time when he went aside alone? I don't like group prayer meetings very much. There's too much talking and not enough listening. I would just once like to have the prayer leader say. "Let's just pray in tongues for a few minutes and then sit quietly without distraction or activity for a half hour". Much more would happen then happens in most so called Prayer Gatherings. We are worse off then the disciples, we don't know how to pray.

Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! (Psalm 46:10)

No comments: