Wednesday, January 23, 2013

When someone tries to set you straight, be careful who you listen to

But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ. 1 John 2:27 NLT

When someone tries to teach me that something I know by the Spirit is true or discounts what I have experienced, I find myself wondering why they think they have an edge in this area? How did they come to some understanding that the Spirit of God in ME rails against? One of us is wrong, his teaching or the Spirit of God that lives in me. I know where I will place my bet. Lean not on your own understanding....

There is a place to be taught, there is a place to learn, but when you come to a certain place you ought to be the one teaching and discipling, not ever learning. We have this wrong in the western church. A sermon should be an anomaly among the mature Holy Spirit filled saints of GOD. Not-
"always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth". 2 Timothy 3:7.

The writer of Hebrews says it best and it's an indictment on how we do church:
Hebrews 5:12 By now you should be teachers. Instead, you still need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word. You need milk, not solid food. 13 All those who live on milk lack the experience to talk about what is right. They are still babies. 14 However, solid food is for mature people, whose minds are trained by practice to know the difference between good and evil.

Let's grow up saints, and stop listening to every wind of doctrine that tries to knock us off the solid rock.  I don't know if that is prophetic, but it is what the Spirit of the Lord is saying today.

No comments: