Thursday, August 13, 2015

You are the Lord's Tomato

Most of my life I have been a gardener.  I know how to make things grow and thrive.  What to plant where, how, fertilize, sunlight needed.  It's actually how I make part of my living.  Gardening.  Horticulture.

There is a passage in the Living Bible from Psalm 92.  Before you dismiss that paraphrase, there are times it says things with better imagery than we get from other more accepted and accurate translations.

Consider this from Psalm 92:13
  For they are transplanted into the Lord’s own garden and are under his personal care. 14 Even in old age they will still produce fruit and be vital and green. 15 This honors the Lord and exhibits his faithful care.

When I am able to walk someone thru the gardens I grow they love to see the pretty flowers and the prolific fruit.  In the admiration I am honored that they admire what has happened.

So it is with our lives.  As I get older, as I live as a transplanted one in the Lord's garden my capacity to produce fruit, to be vital and "Green" has the net effect of giving honor (and glory) to the Lord.  It speaks volumes about his faithfulness.  In that way even without saying a word, I am a living witness to the tender mercies of my God.

Like the tomatoes growing in a garden are a witness to the those who planted and nurtured them.  When we eat fruit from them, there is pleasure in the testimony they are to the Gardner. 

It is pleasing to the Lord as He preserves your life and makes you useful for the Kingdom.

I don't have a direct word from the Lord other than the word of comfort that this gave me this morning.  I hope it helps you too...
 
Psalm 92:5-15 Living Bible Paraphrase
O Lord, what miracles you do! And how deep are your thoughts! Unthinking people do not understand them! No fool can comprehend this:  that although the wicked flourish like weeds, there is only eternal destruction ahead of them.  But the Lord continues forever, exalted in the heavens,  while his enemies—all evildoers—shall be scattered.

But you have made me as strong as a wild bull. How refreshed I am by your blessings! I have heard the doom of my enemies announced and seen them destroyed.  But the godly shall flourish like palm trees and grow tall as the cedars of Lebanon.  For they are transplanted into the Lord’s own garden and are under his personal care.  Even in old age they will still produce fruit and be vital and green.  This honors the Lord and exhibits his faithful care. He is my shelter. There is nothing but goodness in him!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What powerful words of wisdom! I am dealing with my Mom who is now having to live in a nursing care facility and yet she is ministering everyday with others. She is still producing good fruit and your words have given me great comfort today. My tears have started to subside and I know that she is in the shelter of God and his goodness closely stays with my Mom.
Thank You so much for sharing with me Gene, it is a comfort and God is smiling upon you with great goodness.