Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Futility of Excessive Frugality

I was driving by a man's property yesterday.  The Lord spoke to me about his futile life. 

He is one of the most FRUGAL men I have ever known.  OK, Frugal is being kind.  He is CHEAP.  STINGY.  I know him well enough to know that money is more important to him than almost anything other than his family...and I'm not certain about that.

So he lives friendless, on the cheap, denying himself or his family anything.  So you know, he is a man of means.  Owns property and businesses.  He's just an Ebenezer Scrooge.  I confronted him about his behavior.  He called me and I felt like it was time to bring him to account. He didn't take it well. 

So now he lives his empty life.  To be clear he IS a christian. Dutch Reformed.  That will explain a lot.  There is a disease that invades the Psyche of many Dutch Reformed Christians that equate frugality with godliness.

I am all for being frugal. I think we need to be wise.  But when money becomes our GOD... we lose touch with reality.  He has reached that point.

WHAT will it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his eternal soul?  That question was not asked of a pagan, but a person who became frugal when he had a chance to be generous.

In the last years I have learned one truth.  Righteousness equals Generosity.  If you quote the verse, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor the sons of the righteous begging bread"  You better know what it means to be TRULY RIGHTEOUS.

The futility of frugality is what takes the throne of our heart?  Father says... your RIGHTEOUSNESS must EXCEED that of the Pharisees.  The Pharisees according to scripture were very selfish.

Don't be as they were .....or as many today are.


No comments: