Monday, June 17, 2013

James W. Goll: The Penetrating Power of the Prophetic



The Purpose of the Prophetic
A. Revelation 19:10
1. To have a personal revelation of Jesus Christ.
2. To know Him and to make Him known; to carry a testimony of Christ – this is the primary purpose of the prophetic.
3. To know the future is not the primary focus of the prophetic.
B. Matthew 16:13-17
1. [Jesus] said to them [disciples] "But who do you say that I am?" (v. 15).
2. And Simon Peter answered and said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God" (v. 16).
3. ..."Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father Who is in Heaven" (v. 17).
4. Peter's bold confession of who Jesus was came by prophetic revelation, not by natural understanding.
5. It takes God to know God!
C. I Corinthians 12:3
1. Paul said, "...No one can say 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit."
2. The true prophetic purpose is to reveal the Lordship of Jesus.
D. The True Prophetic Pierces Defenses
1. Read John 1:35-51 – In this passage, Nathanael's barriers are overcome by piercing revelation of words of knowledge and discerning of spirits through Jesus.
Woman at the Well2. John 4:7-26 – In this lesson of the woman at the well, we see demonstrated how the prophetic pierces our defenses and barriers (Photo courtesy: Simon Dewey):
a. She was a woman.
b. She was met by a single man.
c. They were not of the same race.
d. She was a "half-breed" Samaritan.
e. She worshipped false gods.
f. She was an adulteress.
g. She was deceitful, having lied and withheld the truth.
h. True prophetic revelation broke down the defenses and she responded to His message.
i. She acknowledged Him as a Prophet and recognized Him as the Messiah.
3. Revelatory gifts are like anti-tank missiles used to shatter the enemy's schemes, expose darkness, and release freedom to the captives.
The Source of Hostility
As it was in times before, so it is today. The people cry, "...The prophet is a fool, the inspired man is demented..." (Hosea 9:7-8). Snares and hostility await him.
A. Reasons Why Snares and Hostility Abound
1. Because of the sin of man. The original sin of man is rebellion against God's Word. In the heart of man, there is hostility towards the entrance of God's Word. The Holy Spirit does an intrusive work. Note the revelatory word does not compete with the Word of God – i.e. the Scriptures – it compliments it!)
2. Because of the offensive way it is packaged.
a. I Corinthians 1:26-28 – God chooses the foolish things to confound the wise.
b. God's package was often offensive:
i. Moses grew up as an Egyptian prince in Pharaoh's house.
ii. Peter was sent to the Jews,
iii. and Paul, a Jew, was sent to the Gentiles (see Galatians 2:7-8).
c. God offends the mind to reveal the heart.
3. Because of the method God chooses to reveal Himself. Numbers 12:6 tells us that He speaks in veiled ways prophetically through dreams and visions. Stumbling blocks are often placed in the pathway to create a seeking heart and the grace of humility.
4. Because of the lack of appreciation. The three-stage process of revelation, interpretation, and application can equal a three-stage problem.
B. The By-Product of Hostility On the Prophet
1. Now, the risk is not in promoting the prophetic (in a wrong way), but of putting them to death with the sword of the tongue.
2. A prophetic person might react to the hostility and become:
a. Adversarial
b. Outside of the ranks of the Church
c. Judgmental in the words released
d. Isolated and unsubmitted
3. The people then begin to refuse the prophet and his word – often, then, the prophetic person reacts accordingly.
4. God's intention, though, is for the prophetic (as well as for the other ministries) to operate in a team-context of peers and friends, with mutual support being a blessing to one another. The safety net of a caring community and team ministry is a vital and necessary ingredient.
Personal snares: IdentityC. Personal Snares
1. There can often be confusion over the issues of personal identity and security.
a. Your identity is who you are. We must cultivate an understanding of who Christ is in us and who we are in Him as our foundation for life and ministry.
b. Your function is what you do. But let us proceed wisely here, as our foundation in life and in the Body of Christ will go through many changes. A measure of significance is found in our placement, but our proper identity must be found in Christ.
c. You are not what you do!
d. You are loved because of grace, not because of how well you perform or how dynamic your gifting may be.
2. As a result of personal internal snares:
a. The prophetic person can become stubborn and dogmatic – not so much because he is so rebellious and wicked but because he is just trying to survive!
b. Extravagant attempts then come forth claiming "God says" everything. These can be said louder, longer, with more emotion.
c. An unteachable spirit can settle in, "I hear from God! I learn from no man!"
3. Misconceptions about the release of the prophetic message:
a. You are going to have a "public ministry" becomes the goal. This is the wrong goal and idea. First you are called to function at home, at work, at school, and then elsewhere according to His will.
b. People often have the misconception that one of the highest forms of prophetic release is the spontaneous and ecstatic word that is spoken. Instead, one of the highest forms of prophetic release is intercession.
c. What is the prophetic presence and gifting for, then? It is first of all for you!
d. Our goal is not to be known by being right or the best. Our goal is that Jesus Christ may be made known! With proper foundations in place, proper ministry may proceed forth.
How We Handle Genuine Prophetic Ministry
A. I John 4:1-3
Test every spirit to see if it is from God. What ideas, concepts, teachings, or information are coming forth? What is the "heart" of the issue? Is the Cross of Jesus presented as the source of life?
The WordB. Don't Be a Prophecy Junkie!
The revelatory word compliments and does not compete with the Word of God. Be a Word-aholic first! Let the revelatory gifting be the icing on the cake – not the main course.
C. Understand the Nature of the Prophetic
1. Most words are invitations to respond to God with conditions that first be met. Few are declarations that something will automatically come into being.
2. Few are immediate, "now" words. Most are words that help us in the process of becoming.
3. Few words get us out of our dilemma. They are used to shed light, comfort, and encouragement to continue on. There are no shortcuts with God!
4. Direct your faith on the God of the Word. Your focus is not on the promise but on the God who promised. When our faith is misplaced, it produces fantasy and unreal expectations.
5. Realize the clarity and cost equation. What God counts as significant will often have great opposition by the enemy. Paul was warned repeatedly of how much he would suffer for Christ's sake. Every promise contains a cost.
6. Give room for "time lapse." As most words are invitations toward an end, there is a duration of time in between while the person is being prepared for the promise.
7. Knowledge is not our primary goal! The prophetic words are tokens or signposts pointing the way to the One Who is the answer.
Don't Throw It Out!
A. I Thessalonians 5:19-20
Do not put out [despise, quench] the Spirit's fire [prophecy, passion, zeal]...with contempt (NIV). Due to errors, failures, and abuses, the temptation can be to despise the whole mess! But hold on! Don't put out the Holy Spirit's fire by overreacting (see I Thessalonians 5:19-20).
B. II Thessalonians 2:2
...that you may be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
1. Do not become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy.
2. There are two ditches to avoid:
a. Discarding, rejecting, and becoming unsettled by the prophetic.
b. Being enamored and captivated by it.
C. Hold Fast To That Which Is Good!
It is worth the journey. Great benefit will come as we cultivate the character needed to carry the gift (see Ephesians 4:1; I Timothy 2:2).
Blessings!
Dr. James W. Goll
Encounters Network • Prayer Storm • Compassion Acts Team

Email: info@encountersnetwork.com
Website: encountersnetwork.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really have a question do these national guys realize thet many churches despise prophets and prophecy. maybe I am venting or just ready and hoping to lay down and die.I have been on the lookout and asking around for years for a church that lets helps train and lets prophets minister. has something even close to resembling a first Corinthians service. I have talked to others they found none eventually started their own churches in other states, which is fine if that's what their called to do. If not well that's a different story. The undercover as john bavere put it has become a nicolation doctorine and most of the churches the pastor by action claims apostleship. many months ago I saw someone who used travel with billye brim known as an apostle come in and make the pastor an Apostle eventual I was supernaturally told to leave the church. His first prophecy to me was your steps where ordered here by the Lord I didn't know it. But I did I was told go see PASTOR we'll call him john almost an hour away he has a prophetic element. Sir i'm the square peg in the round hole you wrote about. My health now is very poor I can't work this really came about by evangelists saying I have a Word for you several times over several years (internationally known)and me following them, me wanting to be submissive I have lost YEARS example I had and have extreme health problems I was told by the evangelist submit to the pastor.I told the pastor I was going to step down from that job field and deal with my health. no don't do that believe God for a year round job with the same money. I overrode my conscience several weeks later God tried to warn me on the job I knew if I dropped that thing two people could have been seriously hurt I have been crippled since june 2011 several months later I went into a series of dreams and open visions for several months I have fought tooth and nail since 2006 around six times I couldn't walk hardly if at all nerve damage from between 1 and three health problems to 20 to 30 my old pastor just looked at me and said I don't like this but technically I have to tell you job is in the new testament God has that right. I have no elder minister to talk to the last prophecy I got was in part it can't be it's not so who are they to tell me I've called you chose and set you in that office who are they to tell me.i have gotten no help from any minister or Christian other than about 60 dollars. God forgive me I am about ready to quite my body is ripped and torn sometimes I am in so much pain I can't even talk to anyone lest I become very coarse. I would be homeless if it weren't for family and no they are not rich by any means Even of the churches I could have helped and all the demonic and occultic crap the Lord taught me to stomp. Many leaders want no change no help and have a tiny book knowledge of spiritual foes and battles. Wise in their own eyes they said exactly what the last prophecy I got said it can't be it's not so. What should I do I find from the national to the local they have pretty much lost touch not only with the people but the actual condition of the church and even it'leaders. james goll larry Randolph are not talking or teaching about what many things they talked about eyes ears conference 2011 mufrasbro tennesee.The upcoming war in the church despisers of church government and the upcoming war within the church,The absoloute failure of many professed spiritual leaders nothing more than children. I really don't know your right hope differed makes the heart sick and with a body that barely works a burden to my family What is the point I have seen heaven this place sucks.