One of the great blessings of the Pentecostal experience is the gift of a spiritual language (or languages) known as speaking in other tongues.
All of God's gifts are given for specific purposes and all are so the people of God and the Church "can profit withal" (1 Corinthians 12:7, KJV).
Rather than Spirit-filled Christians being caught-up in arguing with negative believers over the "rights and wrongs" of tongues (God told us way back in Isaiah His people would refuse to accept Him speaking via the avenue of tongues - Isaiah 28:11-12), we need to know the positive purposes of why we should speak in tongues regularly. Let the Scriptures speak and let us receive with an open heart all that He desires for us in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have discovered in Scripture why believers should speak with other tongues:
1. God Speaks to us Through Tongues: "For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people ..." (Isaiah 28:11-12 and 1 Corinthians 14:21).
2. We Speak to God: "For he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to man, but to God" (1 Corinthians 14:2).
3. In the Spirit we Speak Mysteries ("secrets between friends; what is known only to the initiated"): "For he that speaks in an unknown tongue ... speaks unto God ... in the Spirit he speaks mysteries" (1 Corinthians 14:2).
4. We Edify ("build up") Ourselves: "He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself" (1Corinthians 14:4 and Jude 20).
5. Tongues and Interpretation are Gifts of The Holy Spirit: "To another many kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues" (1 Corinthians 12:10).
The nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 are given to unite and build up the Church via the individuals who exercise (or manifest) them in the love of Jesus. These two gifts are specific gifts which not every Spirit-filled believer exercises, while general speaking in tongues is for all. "I would that you all spake with tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:5).
6. Tongues is our Spirit Praying: "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays" (1 Corinthians 14:14).
7. Tongues are for Speaking, Praying and Singing unto God: "What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also ..." (1 Corinthians 14:15-17).
8. Tongues are to Bless ("to speak well of, praise, as men toward God") and Give Thanks to God: "Else when you shall bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupies the room of the unlearned ("one who has no professional knowledge" - of the Spirit; has not been initiated or sealed - Ephesians 1:13) say Amen at your giving of thanks, seeing he understands not what you are saying" (1 Corinthians 14:16-17).
9. Tongues are for a Sign to Unbelievers: "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not" (1 Corinthians 14:22).
10. Tongues are for All to Benefit Spiritually: "I would that you all spake with tongues ... I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than you all ... Wherefore, brethren ... forbid not to speak with tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:5, 18, 39).
Let me encourage ALL to "press in" to the Holy Spirit more and more to gain the benefits of "speaking mysteries to God."
"Now on the final and most important day of the feast, Jesus stood forth and He cried in a loud voice, 'If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! He who believes in Me - who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me - as the Scripture has said, Out from his innermost being springs and rivers of living water shall flow (continuously). But He was speaking here of the Spirit, whom those who believed - trusted, had faith - in Him were afterward to receive. For the (Holy) Spirit had not yet been given; because Jesus was not yet glorified (raised to honour)" (John 7:37-39, Amplified Bible).
Jesus has now been glorified!
The Holy Spirit has now been given!
You and I can now be gloriously filled with the Spirit and speak forth in other tongues to fulfil the purposes of God for our day!
Jesus said: "These signs shall follow them that believe; In My name ... they shall speak with new tongues" (Mark 16:17).
In Jesus' Name I am doing it!
How about YOU?