Thursday, July 12, 2012

The POWER in the Song of the Lord

Last night I was part of a service where I brought the song of the Lord. The song of the Lord is a prophetic first person God utterance but instead of in simply words, it is sung. No "thus saith the Lord", just sing it. He says to us, "I love you and I gave Myself for your good" to music. All scriptural, but sung. I did this once with the Book of Joel. I sang the words of the Prophecy set to music. I don't sing as well as many, but it always has the same effect. It touches people in different places emotionally and mentally (the soul) then simply words or text does.

I think we might better understand this if we consider Gabby Giffords, the congresswoman who was shot in her head a few years ago. Her brain was damaged. New synapses have had to be developed. She could not speak, but she could sing songs, songs she knew. You may have seen the special on TV about her recovery. Music occupies a different place in the brain then speech does. This works on stroke victims as well. In a soft way, when we have gone thru very difficult times or are facing a serious challenge, it can be as debilitating as a stroke in some ways. The only way is to hear from God in the Song.

There is another example of the power of the Song of the Lord. Elisha was called upon by the King to bring a prophetic word about upcoming warfare and strategy:
2 Kings: 14And Elisha said, “As the Lord of hosts lives, before whom I stand, were it not that I have regard for Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, I would neither look at you nor see you. 15But now bring me a musician.” And when the musician played, the hand of the Lord came upon him. 16And he said, “Thus says the Lord, ‘I will make this dry streambed full of pools.’ 17For thus says the Lord, ‘You shall not see wind or rain, but that streambed shall be filled with water, so that you shall drink, you, your livestock, and your animals.’ 18This is a light thing in the sight of the Lord.
The place in Elisha's soul and spirit that needed touching came thru music. Then he heard from the Lord. Even secular writers know this.

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." William Congreve

As always happens when the song of the Lord comes forth in prophetic utterance people are touched, changed, released. I heard sobbing and wailing as the song came forth last night.

We need the song of the Lord in our Worship services. Much that passes for "Music" isn't. It can be entertaining, but for the most part it's time being marked. Let's get our three songs in so we can get to the sermon. I'm not much impressed by much of what passes for worship unless it's real. Last night was real.

We know the verse in the Bible that says,
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

It would be better set to anointed music,

I am always with you, I am using my mighty hand to save, rescue, recover and restore you. I take marvelous delight in you, I love everything about you. You have peace in My love, you can settle down under My wings as a refuge of silence from the clamor of the day. I sing over you my Love, I have great Joy in Singing over you. Hear My song. It comes to you now. It is My love song to you. Peace and Joy are found in it. I JOY over you with SINGING.


THAT is the song of the Lord. It's about what the Lord gave me to sing last night. Same concept as the passage from Zephaniah, but lyrical. Try using this next week. It is the heart of God. At least that's what he said in his word.

People NEED to hear the song of the Lord.

No comments: