Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It is Irresponsible for me to believe "My God will Supply all my Needs" if I continue to make bad decisons

“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)

Since God will supply, do I just sit back and do nothing? Or do I have a responsibility to do something? If I do something, is that showing a lack of faith, or just being responsible?

Now that I’ve got you thinking, I’ll share my thoughts on the question. I think it’s a combination of both –trusting God and doing my part. God does expect me to act responsibly and use my resources well. I need to make wise decisions and be a good steward of my money, time, talent, and resources.

This is more than budget. This is much more than being careful with your money. This is a matter of making sound decisions in every facet of your life and trusting God to make up the difference. My experience has been that when I miss God he will allow me to struggle in my bad decision making. That happens in every area that I make decisions:

  • Eating
  • Drinking
  • Smoking
  • Drugs
  • Relationships
  • Finances
  • Work
  • Personal Habits
  • Addictions
  • Friends
  • Time Spent
  • Language Used
  • Laws Kept
  • Child Raising
  • How I vote
  • Philosophies I follow
  • Music I listen to
  • Sexual behaviors
  • How I spend my money
  • Generosities

And probably a dozen or more beyond that. This is a short list of things in which I must be responsible to be able to proclaim with confidence that "My God Shall Supply All My Needs".

He isn't going to "supply all your needs" for a big screen TV, Bulls game tickets, Crack, Whiskey, Reefer, Ding Dongs, Money for a Hooker if you are hooked on those "Needs". He will not sanction rebellion or an intentional lack of competence.

I know this is harsh, but we have come to a place in our culture where people are accepting of impending difficulty and without considering what part they played in setting the stage they say with all the religious fervor they can muster, "My GOD shall supply all my NEEDS".

I have bad news for you, if you continue to rebel and run from God in these areas, he will allow you to come to the pig pen stage. There were a lot of people in the land of Zarephath of Sidon who were starving. They may have believed that "My God shall supply all my needs". But they died none the less. We do know that the widow called upon by Elijah to give him a cake to eat did NOT because she was responsible. 1 Kings 17

There is much responsibility in saying "My God shall supply all my Needs" if we are doing things that push back against his ability to do so. IF we are behaving in a way that counters the purposes of God in our lives.

We are in a critical time in this nation, the people of God are about to test that truth. Many will discover they have been found wanting and the Biblical truth which was always conditional will manifest in lack. Many will suffer because they knew right to do and did it not. They let other voices, not the voice of the Shepherd lead them

May you and I understand and respond. I'm laying hands on myself on this one.

No comments: