Monday, May 23, 2011

Where was Camping's prophet?

I wonder if Harold Camping had a Prophet unafraid to confront him in his life? It is often the case when error begins that the prophets in a leader's life are shunned, silenced or dismissed. Camping would have said, "I have heard from the Lord for myself"...and he heard...something. Or in this case he studied something. What began as a sound doctrinal premise went awry because the spirit of illumination he once had was darkened by pride in a doctrine, a teaching, a premise. It became a cause. It became a campaign. "I know something you don't". That exclusivity becomes a source of money. The love of which is at the root of all kinds of evil. Those who do not get this doctrine directly become followers. Then we end with the Jim Jones cults.

IF the prophets are doing what they are hired by God to do, that is to spot error and call it out, then the people rest in safety. If the Prophets are silent, or worse jump on board with a teaching that is only half true, they are guilty.

I wondered this with many ministers who have fallen or gone off the track. Jim Bakker, Eddie Long, Carlton Pearson, Ted Haggard and many others. Where was the Prophet in his life? Harold Camping is just the latest to give fuel to the ridicule disdaining the Body of Christ. No prophet means no profit to the Body.

If you are a spiritual senior leader and have many who follow your teachings, if you DON'T have a bold sound seasoned prophet who is allowed to speak into your life your "Sound Doctrine" may look great, people will embrace it, you might even be able to prove every precept by scripture. But you will be in error.

We in the Body of Christ have become experts at picking out Bible Bullets and shooting those who disagree with it theologically dead. I know, I have done it, and can do it. I reject that whole idea. God's heart is towards his sheep...he cares much more about them than about the earthly shepherds who mislead. I can tell you this morning that the heart of God is broken toward those who find themselves bewildered because of the Whole Camping doctrine. But this is not about Camping alone. IF you are hurting the Body of Christ, you hurt Jesus. If your doctrine, even if you believe it fully and can prove it well, if it has a them and us mentality about it, it is flawed. The Holy Spirit's character is to come along side. To walk with. To reveal what the Throne says. IF we carry HIM in US we need to do what the Father does thru the Spirit of God. Come along side.

I appeal to you all...get a SOUND prophet, one who has NOTHING to gain or lose by association with you and hear what he or she says. This is critical. We must have the word of the Lord in our land, in our churches and in the things we are teaching.

We Must have a Nathan who has the right, nay the responsibility, to come to the Man of God teaching and preaching and who can say with authority, "My dear Apostle/Bishop/Pastor, I regret to tell you that once again you are full of it"

Without that strong voice, deception in doctrine is certain.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

You give good, sound advice. This Camping cult has brought scorn and ridicule to true Christianity. I pray that his followers (now I hope former followers) will be open to instruction and comfort from the Holy Spirit and not give up on Christianity!

k said...

Wow. This has so been on my heart lately. I've seen boatloads of it lately and it is HARD! I literally just typed on FB, "The more 'yes men' you have around you, the more you better be sure you're right." But I deleted it... I was too scared to say it. I've seen a lot of people getting it in the neck (myself included) for raising a point of question.

This us vs. them mentality... coupled with a lack of true commitment to one another as brothers and sisters, what do you make of that? People who disagree are suddenly disposable. Do you think this grieve's God's heart? I try to just be grieved, but sometimes I feel more "ticked"... maybe because in a lot of these equations I feel like a "them". Maybe because the message, which may be true and valid gets muddy and I feel like rejecting it. I dunno. I've got problems... lol. :)

Anyway... this made SENSE to me. :) Thanks, PG, for keeping it real and balanced. For encouraging the Body of Christ as a whole. We need more checks and balances and less yessin' to every word coming out of the who's who of the prophetic zoo.

just my thoughts...

Anonymous said...

There are no prophets in action because most pastors teach that prophets/apostles etc and the gifts of the Holy Spirit went out with the first century church.

Ron McK said...

Good stuff.
Unfortunately very few Christian leaders have a prophet close enough to see and challenge.

Steve Scott said...

Camping's prophet? He rejected just about everybody who didn't agree with him.