Friday, July 29, 2011

Loud is not the Anointing - it's just loud

There is a story in 1 Samuel 4:5-11
When the ark of the LORD’s covenant came into the camp, all Israel raised such a great shout that the ground shook. 6 Hearing the uproar, the Philistines asked, “What’s all this shouting in the Hebrew camp?”

When they learned that the ark of the LORD had come into the camp, 7 the Philistines were afraid. “A god has come into the camp,” they said. “Oh no! Nothing like this has happened before. 8 We’re doomed! Who will deliver us from the hand of these mighty gods? They are the gods who struck the Egyptians with all kinds of plagues in the wilderness. 9 Be strong, Philistines! Be men, or you will be subject to the Hebrews, as they have been to you. Be men, and fight!”

10 So the Philistines fought, and the Israelites were defeated and every man fled to his tent. The slaughter was very great; Israel lost thirty thousand foot soldiers. 11 The ark of God was captured, and Eli’s two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, died.
The sound of worship at the presence of the Lord came up in a shout so loud it shook the ground. I have been in those meetings. My ears still ring.

YET..the loud didn't guarantee victory, it didn't gin up God to defeat the enemy. It resulted in the death of the sons of the priest and eventually his own death when he heard.

I think of this when I am in meetings where the meeting leader cheerleads people to engage in a loud shout. Or when the PA system is turned up to 11 and you feel the bass drum in your kidneys.

Loud isn't the anointing...it can be sometimes but mostly it's just loud.

IF I find myself in pain from the noise, I just won't go back. I wonder if I'm alone? I wonder if I'm the only one? I bring ear plugs. That helps. I was at a conference recently where at the entrance table there were Mints and Ear Plugs given out to people as they attended.

REALLY? Do we really have to give ear plugs? REALLY??

How about some sanity in all this.

If you see ear plugs being installed...turn it down.

That probably isn't the word of the Lord exactly, but this prophet with hearing issues can't take much more of the 11's on the volume knob.

95 DB is about all anyone needs. Buy a DB meter. Use it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!