Monday, September 6, 2010

Are You Full Time? A Word from the Prophet Amos

Dedicated to Denise Gansmann who opened my eyes up to this.

I had a pastor friend say something recently, he said, "I don't get involved in the affairs of the world, I'm a full time pastor".

He spoke of this because of a comment I had made about the economy from an economist's standpoint. He only wanted to hear the prophetic word over the economy. Anything else seemed to be beneath him.

What is full time in the ministry? Are any of us part time? Should any of us be?

Denise sent me some videos and has blogged on the Prophet Amos.

Amos was a full time prophet who made a living taking care of sheep and cattle, growing figs and selling them in the market. In other words he was a businessman who walked in the office of the prophet full time. Just like me. Probably just like you. Look at how he answers those who question him:

Amos replied, "I'm not a professional prophet, and I was never trained to be one. I'm just a shepherd, and I take care of sycamore-fig trees. Amos 7:14 nlt

Yet Amos spoke the word of the Lord in Boldness. For that he was shunned by the religious establishment. They tried to run him out of town. Read Amos 7 and 8. It's still the same today.

Speaking with my new friend Marcus Beaver yesterday I shared this with him. Some who are "FULL TIME" look down on people like the Prophet Amos. People who make a living doing "secular" work yet walk full time in all the authority of the office. I'm that guy. Maybe you are that guy or gal. Your living comes from other than depending on gifts and offerings to support your ministry. I know this for sure, it gives me great freedom. I am NOT dependent on anyone or anything other than the provision of God as is manifested thru my business. I can be bold and fearless.

When God wanted to Bless Abraham HE didn't say, "I'll make of you a great minister with a great church and you won't ever have to do anything but pray and read the Torah except for the Sabbath when you can ascend the platform and expound loudly". That's not what God promised, he promised sheep, cattle, riches and land. And seed like the sands of the sea. He wrestled in business with his own relatives. There was all kinds of issues in business that needed to be handled. Yet he is Father Abraham to this day. His wealth and business sense gave him great influence.

We need more Amos' and fewer court prophets who live off the stipend from a king, tithes and offerings.

Here's the word of the Lord:
Don't ever be critical of the man or woman of God who makes their living by my provision. If I choose to bless them in that way, I have chosen it. They are called of ME and they are walking perfectly in the center of my call on them. If I called you to be full time it is because I chose it. If you see yourself as better because of that call, you miss what I am doing. My call is not superior or inferior based on how I have chosen to provide.

2 comments:

daniel62kwlwu said...

good word brother we should always be content with what God has given us and be good stewards

denise gansmann said...

i love the minor prophets i learn more each time,

the lion can roar but who can prophesy?