Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Dream of Being Lost and Yet Not

A recurring dream of mine is being lost.  Most of the time it's in the city.  I guess as a country boy I'm pretty good in the wild.  I think I can find my way well.  No, it's nearly always in a city.  Taking a wrong turn, ending up in a place I didn't want to be.  Losing time. In danger sometimes.  Sometimes in a trap.

Sometimes these dreams have me going down a road a long way to find my destination.  Most of the time on foot.  Sometimes in a building or in a hotel can't find where I supposed to be.  Lots of variations on this dream.  Too many to talk about.


The wrong turn lost feeling comes because I set out without a clear direction. I have stumbled and ended up where I didn't want to be.  This is a sinking feeling.  There is almost never somewhere to find and rescue me.  I don't die or am not injured, just lost and not where I want to be.

I have wondered what this means.  I believe I know.  I am now convinced that this comes from not fitting in and knowing my place in the WORLD.  I know my place in the grand scheme but in the world I am a stranger in strange land.  My mastery is not of worldly things, but of other.

I feel like the old Hymn:

I’m But a Stranger Here
By: Thomas R. Taylor
I’m but a stranger here,
Heaven is my home;
Earth is a desert drear,
Heaven is my home;
Danger and sorrow stand
Round me on every hand;
Heaven is my fatherland,
Heaven is my home.
What though the tempest rage,
Heaven is my home;
Short is my pilgrimage,
Heaven is my home;
And time’s wintry blast
Soon shall be over past;
I shall reach home at last,
Heaven is my home.
Therefore I murmur not,
Heaven is my home;
Whatever my earthly lot,
Heaven is my home;
And I shall surely stand
There at my Lord’s right hand.
Heaven is my fatherland,
Heaven is my home.

So I will finish the race even if I don't get where I think on this earth, My home is elsewhere


No comments: