Monday, February 22, 2016

Popular Prophet is an Oxymoron

In case you don't know the meaning of Oxymoron:


noun, plural oxymora
[ok-si-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh] (Show IPA),
oxymorons. Rhetoric.
1.
a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”.
IF you think you are a prophet and if you think as you obey the Lord prophetically you should never rub people the wrong way sometimes, you haven't read much of the Bible.

No prophet was popular .. long.  Sure while they were getting soft words, while the reassurances came without much condition, that was welcome.  On a personal level I will never prophecy to someone harshly.   I might softly correct. I might suggest they take another look.  And if that doesn't work, I will refrain from prophesying at all.  I have done it.  A person presents themselves to me and I remain silent before them. Smiling, maybe even hugging them.. but without comment.

As a Prophet there is only an audience of ONE. There is singular accountability.  I am only responsible to say what GOD says.  Not what the popular culture says. Not what makes people feel good. Not what will soothe the savage beast. 

This is particularly true in public discourse.  Somehow I have ended up with a voice to many some of whom no longer choose to hear.  They are convinced they didn't want that much truth.  That to challenge what they already have in their hearts from the culture they are trapped in, or the political views they already have or the sinful condition they are in is too hard.  So they say things like, "I used to believe you were a prophet" or "I have lost all respect for you as a prophet".

If I were thin skinned (by the way a thin skinned prophet is another oxymoron) I would take it personally. I don't.  I am accountable to say what God says.  You might not like it. They used to cut the heads from Prophets, put them in the pit, put them in jail, burn them at the stake.

It's a little less today.

You don't have to hear what I am bringing. It's OK. There are lots of those who are willing to satisfy your itching ears.  Some of high esteem.   Some I used to think heard from God at some level.

I invested a great deal of time and energy trying to help several ministers over the years. Trying to bring a word of encouragement.  Trying to be a friend and one who may be able to help them break thru.  Those efforts have fallen on deaf ears.  They didn't want to be helped. They wanted to stay in a comfort zone that they love greater than the deception they are under.

It's OK.  I learned a long time that as a prophet, prophesying to the wind does little good.  I must go where people will hear, where I am celebrated, not tolerated.  Where what I bring has a net positive affect.  Not where people are hoping for a soft word.

I'm not against any particular prophetic voices on the platform today.  I do however judge them as to what they bring.  I don't often openly oppose them, unless they are doing real damage.

So if you find what I write and what I bring to be offensive, you don't have to hear. You can ignore the voice of 2 Chronicles 20:20b:

"Listen to me, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Believe in the LORD your God, and you will be able to stand firm. Believe in his prophets, and you will succeed."
 There are many God believing saints who are standing firm in Him.  Headed for heaven.    YET not receiving what the word of the Lord from the Prophets are saying are still unsuccessful, not winning, not prospering.  Just getting by with ears stopped up to the word of the Lord.

What is a prophet to do?  Find those who WILL listen and then proclaim the words of Success to them.. and the rest have made a choice.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Please keep saying those things which the Lord puts on your heart, I am listening! One thing I have learned over the years, "the truth really hurts" but if you truly listen you will find that it is God's word and God's word will always set you free. I don't always like what I hear, but I do listen and realize that you bring the word of God to those of us who are trying so hard to live our life for God. Thank You Gene for allowing me to be part of your prophesying. May God Bless and Keep You.