Monday, April 28, 2014

Pets over the top

Dogs. I don't dislike dogs. I don't hate cats. I just know them for what they are... animals. Same with horses. I am puzzled and sometimes irritated by the love and money spent by people on simple animals. Today we had a session honoring a dog in church. I know there is a purpose. I get it. YET... it's a dog. Not a person. I don't question the idea.. I do wonder about people's inordinate affection for such.

I mentioned this to a person casually, they said at once, "you grew up on a farm didn't you". YUP. Did . They said "that's why. To you a dog is just another animal, no different from a chicken or a pig". YUP.

I guess that's why people's love for pets, dogs, cats, horses is such a puzzlement to me. I have had all of them. Liked them. BUT they were just animals. Not people. When I hear someone say, "He's my baby" about a dog... I cringe. We are not far from the Hindu who worship the God of the Cow. Or the Ancient Egyptians who worshiped cats. Or the temple with Live Rats... Worshiped as reincarnated people http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/01/17/karni_mata_the_indian_temple_where_rats_are_worshipped.html

Something is wrong here:
Romans 1:24Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. 25For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,…

No comments: